Genoa, Italy, Sunday March 24 to Wednesday March 27, 2024
We would like to announce FOM2024, the next conference in the FOM series. FOM2024 will take place in Genoa, Italy, from Sunday March 24 to Wednesday March 27, 2024. Please note that this will be in the week before Easter 2024.
The FOM2024 conference will take place at the Magazzini del Cotone, Porto Antico di Genova, Calata Molo Vecchio 15, Genova, Italy
|Opening submission of abstracts||Wednesday, October 18, 2023|
|Deadline application financial support||Monday, December 11, 2023|
|Deadline submission of abstracts||Tuesday, January 9, 2024|
|Acceptance contributions, draft program on the web||Thursday, January 25, 2024|
|Deadline early registration||Thursday, February 15, 2024|
|FOM2024 Conference||Sunday, March 24 – Wednesday, March 27, 2024|
|Easter Sunday 2024||Sunday, March 31, 2024|
FOM2024 continues a long-standing (since 1988), yearly conference series on the latest innovations and developments in (optical) microscopy and their application in biology, medicine, and the material sciences.
The conference will start on Sunday, March 24 with tutorials, followed by parallel sessions, Flash poster presentations and a plenary opening session with invited speakers at the end of the afternoon. The tentative program will be available later this year, and can be found under “Program” on this web site.
If you wish to be kept informed on updates, please subscribe to the Focus on Microscopy email newsletter by filling in this form.
|Pier Alberto Benedetti (2/11/1939), known as Pio, passed away on 5/5/2023 shortly after FOM in Porto, where he delivered his final brilliant talk on his pioneering work in video confocal microscopy. Pio was essential to anyone starting with microscopy from the 1980s onwards. He introduced inspiring ideas such as the scanning integrating histophotometer and pioneered confocal-line-scanning microscopy and image reconstruction strategies for patterned illumination systems. Pio was always enthusiastically drawn to simple and low-cost ideas. He was a true ‘Toscano’ and an excellent ‘teacher’ for anyone entering the field. We will miss him.|
- Theory and practice of confocal and multiphoton-excitation microscopy
- Instrumentation and microscope design
- Super-resolution, nanoscopy imaging: from PSF engineering (4pi, SIM, STED), fluorescence activation/quenching, stochastic/centroid (PALM, STORM, GSDIM, SOFI and related techniques) to TIRF
- 3D and 4D live cell and tissue imaging
- Adaptive optics for microscopy
- Light sheet microscopy
- Phase/interference based microscopies
- OCT, holography, endoscopy
- Advanced fluorescence imaging/spectroscopy: FRET, FRAP, FLIM, FCS, SOFI
- New fluorescent probes, proteins, quantum dots, single molecule imaging
- Clearing and expansion techniques
- Coherent non-linear microscopies: SHG, THG, SFG, CARS
- Multi-dimensional fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy imaging
- Correlated microscopies e.g. light/electron
- Laser manipulation and tracking, photo-activation
- Fast acquisition, automated and high-content microscopy
- 3D image processing and visualization for multidimensional data
FOM 2024 presentations
Presentations in a plenary session are scheduled for 40 minutes and oral presentations in parallel sessions for 20 minutes, both including discussion time. In addition, two sessions are reserved for presenting posters.
Detailed information about the previous FOM conferences can be found on this website under the “About” button. From 2004 onwards also with one page abstracts of the presented contributions. Please note also the “Search FOM database” button for full searches through the whole FOM archive over the years.
The FOM2024 organizers:
- Alberto Diaspro, University of Genoa and IIT Genoa, Italy
- Paolo Bianchini, IIT Genoa, Italy
- Hans Gerritsen, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Fred Brakenhoff, Honorary member
Mission statement and Inclusivity
Our mission is to advance microscopy research, foster collaboration, and meet the needs of participants by providing opportunities for knowledge sharing and connecting scientists with the global scientific community and commercial partners. We are deeply committed to ensuring equal opportunities and fair treatment for all participants, regardless of gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, religion, culture, or disability. Our commitment to inclusivity is reflected in our internal policies and mechanisms that aim to reduce unconscious bias and proactively achieve a balanced gender ratio among invited speakers. In addition, we offer financial support to attendees from underrepresented backgrounds. For the upcoming FOM2024 conference, we are pleased to announce that we will support 10 candidates, to help foster a diverse community of scientists and students who can actively contribute to the scientific discourse. Please refer to the “financial support” section for more details. [read our full mission and inclusivity statement here]